Occupational Driver's LicensePut Unparalleled Defense In Your Corner
Occupational Driver License (ODL)
Experienced DWI Defense in Tarrant County, and the Greater Dallas – Fort Worth Area
Driving while intoxicated (DWI) is one of the most common criminal offenses in Tarrant County and throughout Texas. Even if you are never convicted, you could still face harsh consequences like a potential driver license suspension. Luckily, an Occupational Driver License (ODL) could provide you the opportunity to retain your necessary driving privileges while an experienced DWI lawyer fights your case.
What Is an Occupational Driver's License?
An occupational driver license is a restricted license that allows you to drive a vehicle after your license has been suspended or revoked. (Tex. Transp. Code § 521.242(a)).
The two types of Occupational Driver Licenses in Texas are:
- Essential Needs ODL, which restricts driving to limited necessary purposes, hours, and locations; and
- Deep Lung Device ODL, which requires a person to install an ignition interlock device in the vehicle, but does not mandate other restrictions like the Essential Needs ODL.
Occupational Driver's License Eligibility
Generally, anyone whose license has been suspended is eligible for an Occupational Driver License. However, you are ineligible for an Occupational Driver License if:
- You drive on a commercial driver license (CDL) (Tex. Transp. Code § 521.242(a)).;
- Your driver license was suspended because of a physical or mental disability (Tex. Transp. Code § 521.242(f)).; or
- You have been issued an ODL within the last 10 years following a DWI conviction (Tex. Trasp. Code § 521.242(b)(2)).
Occupational Driver's License Waiting Period
Generally, first-time offenders are immediately eligible for an Occupational Driver License (Tex. Transp. Code § 521.251); otherwise, there may a waiting period depending on the type of occupational driver license you apply for.
There may be a waiting period for an Essential Needs ODL if you have had a prior alcohol or drug related contact or conviction, such as:
- 91-day waiting period if your driver license had been suspended as a result of an alcohol or drug related contact within the previous 5 years (Tex. Transp. Code § 521.251(b)).
- 181-day waiting period if your driver license had been suspended as a result of an alcohol or drug related conviction with the previous 5 years (Tex. Transp. Code § 521.251(c)).
- 1-year waiting period if your driver license was suspended due to a second alcohol or drug related conviction within the previous 5 years (Tex. Transp. Code § 521.251(d)).
There is no waiting period for a Deep Lung Device ODL, even if you would otherwise have one for an Essential Needs ODL (Tex. Transp. Code § 521.251(d-1)).
What Do I Do Next?
If you are facing a DWI driver license suspension, you need aggressive criminal defense representation. The experienced Tarrant County DWI Defense Lawyers with The Law Office of David Sloane are here to protect you!
Our DWI Defense Lawyers have helped hundreds of clients fight driver license suspensions and obtain Occupational Driver Licenses in Tarrant County and throughout the greater Dallas – Fort Worth Area, such as:
- Tarrant County
- Dallas County
- Parker County
- Denton County
- Wise County
- Johnson County
- Hood County
- Ellis County
- Collin County
Contact us today at (817) 349-7118 to request a FREE consultation with our DWI defense lawyers at The Law Offices of David Sloane!
Falsification of Drug Test Results Reduced to Class C Non-Reporting Probation
Keeping a Gambling Place & Intentionally & Knowingly Operate a Game Room Charges Dismissed
Possession of Marijuana <2oz Unlawful Stop - Charge Dismissed
POSS MARIJ < 2OZ Case Dismissed, Motion to Suppress Granted
Possession of Marijuana 5lbs to 50lbs Case Dismissed - Motion to Suppress Granted
“He made my tough situation a breeze to get through!!”- Levi
“If you’re looking for someone that’s gonna have your back and someone that’s going to get the best deal for you, this man right here is your guy.”- Quaran
“Highly recommended! Worth every penny.”- Michael
“He is very kind and cares about you as a person, and he is VERY knowledgeable in his field.”- Emily
“He's always been very efficient at what he does and I feel safest working with him. His work ethic is outstanding”- Daniel