Drug Penalty Group 3Put Unparalleled Defense In Your Corner
Drug Penalty Group 3 in Texas
Holistic Drug Defense in Tarrant County and the Dallas – Fort Worth Area
Drug crimes are the most common criminal offenses in Tarrant County, the Dallas – Fort Worth Area, and Texas. The Tarrant County Drug Criminal Defense Lawyers with The Law Office of David Sloane are here for you!
Penalty Groups Explained
Under Texas Health & Safety Code §§ 481.102 – 481.105, controlled substances (drugs) are classified into one of four different penalty groups:
- Penalty Group 1/ 1A
- Penalty Group 2/ 2A
- Penalty Group 3
- Penalty Group 4
Texas Penalty Group 3 Drugs
Controlled substances categorized under Penalty Group 3 are prescription only stimulant or depressant narcotics that have the potential for addiction. The most common controlled substances categorized under Penalty Group 3 are:
- Anabolic Steroids
- Diazepam (Valium)
- Lorazepam (Ativan)
- Alprazolam (Xanax)
- Clonazepam (Rivotril)
- Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
Potential punishment for Drug Penalty Group 3 offenses depend on whether the individual is accused of possessing, manufacturing, or delivering the substance.
Drug Penalty Group 3 Possession Punishment in Texas
Possession of a Penalty Group 3 Controlled Substance ranges in punishment from a Class A Misdemeanor to a First-Degree felony. Possession means the actual care, custody, control, or management of a controlled substance (Tex. Penal Code § 1.07(a)(39)). The range of punishment is dependent on the weight/ amount a person has in their possession:
- Less than 28 Gram (POSS CS PG3 <28G), Class A Misdemeanor, punishable up to one year in the county jail and a fine up to $4,000.
- 28 to 200 Grams (POSS CS PG3 28-200G), Third Degree Felony, punishable between two years to 10 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.
- 200 to 400 Grams (POSS CS PG3 200-400G), Second Degree Felony, punishable between two years to 20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.
- 400 Grams or More (POSS CS PG3 >400G), First Degree Felony, punishable between 5 years to 99 years in prison, and a fine up to $50,000.
Drug Penalty Group 3 Manufacture/ Delivery Punishment
The manufacture, delivery, or possession with intent to deliver any amount of a Penalty Group 3 Controlled Substance is a felony punishable by prison time. The Manufacture of a controlled substances refers to the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, conversion, or processing of a controlled substance by extraction from substances of natural origin and includes the packaging of the substance or labeling of its container. (Tex. Controlled Substances Act § 481.002(25)); whereas, the delivery of a controlled substance refers to the transfer a controlled substance to another (Tex. Controlled Substances Act § 481.002(8)). The range of punishment is dependent on the weight/ amount and is much more severe than simple possession:
- Less than 28 Gram (MAN/DEL CS PG3 <28G), State Jail Felony, punishable between 180 days to two years in a state jail facility and a fine up to $10,000.
- 28 to 200 Grams (MAN/DEL CS PG3 28-200G), Second Degree Felony, punishable between two years to 20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.
- 200 to 400 Grams (MAN/DEL CS PG3 200-400G), First Degree Felony, punishable between five years to 99 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.
- 400 Grams or More (MAN/DEL CS PG3 >400G), Enhanced First Degree Felony, punishable between 10 years to 99 years in prison, and a fine up to $100,000.
How to Fight Drug Penalty Group 3 Charges in Texas
If you or a loved one are facing a drug offense accusation, you need aggressive criminal defense representation. The Tarrant County Drug Criminal Defense Lawyers with The Law Office of David Sloane are here to protect you!
Our Tarrant County Drug Criminal Defense Lawyers have helped thousands of clients fight drug related cases in Texas, focusing on the greater Dallas – Fort Worth Area:
Contact us today at (817) 349-7118 for a FREE Consultation with the Tarrant County drug crime lawyers at The Law Offices of David Sloane!
Falsification of Drug Test Results Reduced to Class C Non-Reporting Probation
Keeping a Gambling Place & Intentionally & Knowingly Operate a Game Room Charges Dismissed
Possession of Marijuana <2oz Unlawful Stop - Charge Dismissed
Possession of Marijuana <2oz Case Dismissed, Motion to Suppress Granted
Possession of Marijuana 5lbs to 50lbs Case Dismissed - Motion to Suppress Granted
“David Sloane and Associates are hands down the best attorneys in the DFW area I can’t recommend them enough.”- Jason
“He's always been very efficient at what he does and I feel safest working with him. His work ethic is outstanding”- Daniel
“There is no one better to have on your side!”- Angela
“He moves mountains and he is straight forward with everything”- Garret
“He will fight for what he believes is right. Really, he is all you could ask for as a legal representative and a general person.”- Pasquale